Almost as long as there has been golf in Alameda, there has been a "Commuters"
On May 27, 1927, Mr. James Hunter, the Starter of the Alameda Golf Course said, "Gentlemen, you are on the tee", and when Mr. George Rose hit his tee shot, golf had arrived on the island city of Alameda.
Since 1927, many golf tournaments have been held in Alameda. The oldest and most important is the Alameda Commuters.
The first Alameda Commuters was held in July of 1928 - the first prize was a keg of nails and the last place was a sack of manure. By 1936 the tournament grew to a field of 21 handicap flights of 16 players, a total of 352 entries.
By 1937, it was necessary to hold qualifying for the Championship flight to determine the low 32, who advanced into match play. That format lasted for 22 years, when in 1959 the Championship became a 72-hole, medal play event as it remains today.
The Commuters has had the staying power to survive part of a depression, prohibition, World War II, and more. The strength of the Tournament Committee, sponsors, and the desire of top amateurs to compete have all factored into this longevity.
While many contenders over the years have gone forward into the professional ranks, many often return as sponsors. Top competitors seek out the highest quality events, and the Commuters Championship and Senior divisions have been awarded high point values by the Northern California Golf Association.
Each year, the task of chairmanship is given to a new leader, he and the other 39 Committee members share in the time, effort, and sacrifices required to run such a prestigious event (For more information on the Alameda Commuters Golf Tournament and to view past champions please visit: http://www.alamedacommuters.org/)
(Information courtesy of the Alameda Commuters Golf Tournament website)